Friday, February 5, 2010

DWP - continuation prompt

“So this is how it is to die,” I remembered thinking as I sank down the cold sea water.

It surprised me that I did not mind the cold that engulfed my body and the darkness that pulled me to the bottom. I actually felt like I was floating and that I have become one with the sea. I did not even feel the pain of the bullet that had pierced through my head.

Despite the darkness, I could still make out the shadows of bodies floating around me. Sometimes a ray of light filtered through the dark waters and I saw the body of a child, floating. I actually saw the faces of people floating around me and I realized that as I was going downward, these people were actually floating upwards! Calmness etched their faces, their eyes staring towards the water above and they had smiles in their lips. But below, in the darkest depths, I hear moans laced with fear as I saw other people on a fast descent. I knew I was not supposed to hear any sound but I did. I let my body sink down into the darkness even as I looked around for Daniel. I rued that I let him drown. But we're both dead now so what did it matter?

"Why are we going down and they're going up?" a woman’s voice startled me and I thought there was something wrong. We were already dead, how can this person talk.

I looked behind me and I saw a woman wearing a ruby red Jezebel cut gown, the large diamond pendant floating in its chain still hanging around her neck. Her blonde hair covered part of her face but I could see that she was beautiful.

"I don't know," I said confused at the fact that I could talk underneath the waters.

"That's because we are dead," came another voice.

"Nooooooooooooo!" the woman in the ruby red gown screamed. "I can't be dead. I don't want to die!"

Suddenly, we were no longer floating but standing on a large cave. A man, wearing blue silk pajamas and a matching silk robe, adjusted the pipe in his mouth, appeared before us.

"Welcome! I am your host," he leered as he gave us a once over.

"Are we in hell?" asked another soul whose face I couldn't make out in the dark behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment