Thursday, January 27, 2011

PROMPT: write about someone from the past

November, 2008:

I received an e-mail today. The sender, ST, wrote: "ASF is asking about you, can I give him your e-mail?"

This was rather unexpected and I asked myself where this was coming from. Now, ST is a glib kind of person, meaning he talked big, in a rather boastful way. I tried to think back: did I in any way let out anything about ASF? As far as I knew, I had not discussed him with anyone, other than saying he was the star of the basketball team when I was graduating from high school. Of course, everybody, especially the girls knew ASF, and who wouldn't.


There's a signal from Sanny on the YM messenger. I logged on.

Me: What's this bullshit you're playing with me about ASF?

ST: It's true, he e-mailed me. He said "Can I have VMM's e-mail?"

Me: How did he know about me? My screen name does not indicate anything about my real name.

ST: Well, I sort of asked him if he knew you.

Me: Why would you do that?

ST: Just to find out if he knew you. Why? Are you hiding from him?

Me: No.

ST: Were you his girlfriend in high school?

Me: What kind of stupid question is that? I didn't have a boyfriend in high school. Did you personally know ASF when you were in high school?

ST: We knew the same people.

Me: Did you know who his girlfriend was back then?

ST: Yes.

Me: Who was it?

ST: You!

Me: ST, you are full of bullshit!

ST: hahahahaha. It wasn't you? Well, I didn't really know who his girlfriend was that time. But he was very popular, he had to have a girlfriend.

Me: Well, then?


Several weeks after that, I stopped communicating with ST nor did I want to have anything to do with the alumni group he had established. To my surprise, he sent me an e-mail, wherein attached was an e-mail from ASF, asking him for my e-mail address.

ASF and I did not as much talk in high school. The encounters I had with him could be counted with the fingers in my one hand.

First encounter:

Cynthia, Aida, Neri, Lourdes and I were in a vacant room on the second floor, singing. The school athletes were practicing downstairs in the quadrangle, as well as the PMT's and the boy scouts. VA took a break from their PMT routine and came up with RC. We were talking about our Physics assignments. Then some students came up to use the other vacant rooms. ASF passed by with his team mates, saw VA and Cynthia and they talked. He was standing by the door when I decided to leave the room to see if the canteen was busy.

I paused right beside ASF, looked up at his face and said: "My, you're very tall!"

I remembered that he smiled at me and said, rather shyly, "Hi!"

Second encounter:

A few weeks later, one afternoon, my classmate ZM and I were walking past the registrar's office and ASF was with some of his classmates. He ran and stopped right in front of me, effectively blocking my way.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," I said while he started walking backwards.

"Are you coming to see the game?" he asked mentioning the name of a school that I didn't catch. He was talking about a basketball tournament that the school team was competing in.

I would have wanted to come with some of my girlfriends but the pressure of doing well in school had a lot of constraints on me. Plus I would need extra money for bus fare which I knew I couldn't have, so I shook my head.

"Can't." I continued to walk, ZM in tow.

"Will you pray that we'll win?" he asked, he's behind me now.

I looked back, and looked at ZM. I smiled at ASF and I said "Sure!" Suddenly he was gone.

"He likes you," ZM said.


Third encounter:

Three days later. The basketball court was being prepped for a game with a school from out of town. We were having recess and Cynthia and I were in the hallway passing time. ASF, holding a notebook, approached us. Cynthia gave him a big smile and they talked.

After a few minutes, he turned to me.

"Vikki, are you going to watch the game this afternoon?" he asked. This surprised Cynthia, her eyes round in amazement.

"Yes, we're going to watch," Cynthia said to him and was about to say more when ASF said to me:

"I promise my first basket will be for you."

I pointed a finger at me, my eyes inquiring, Me?

"Yes, you."

"Just the first?" I had to make light of the situation. Cynthia's jaws dropped on the ground and needed picking up.

"The first five," he said smiling. That's when I noticed his eyes. Looking at me. Me! And I noted the uneven lower front teeth. And his lips were red. And he was slim. And he had fair skin, well, compared to mine.

Cynthia recovered from this surprise. "Why not all?"

He laughed and said "see you". As he walked up the stairs, he looked back and smiled.

Cynthia turned to me: "What was that all about?"

"You heard him, first five baskets for me." I strutted back towards the classroom, like a peacock showing its plumes.

Cynthia, dear Cynthia, told the first girl who passed by.


That afternoon, at the game, Cynthia and I stood on the second floor hallway just above the canteen, where we had the perfect view of the west end basket. Our school's team scored first. It was him. He was looking up scanning the building until he saw me. And he shot another basket. And I cheered. For the team. Until I got my five baskets.

And Cynthia said, "I didn't know you're his girlfriend."

"I'm not. I hardly ever talked to him."

We went downstairs to buy Coke. Some girls from third year afternoon section, gave me a snide look and whispered loud enough for me to hear, "ASF's girlfriend."

And I thought: I am?. Hah! My plumes just got more colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment