Tuesday, June 1, 2010

a walk in the park

Manila Bay was still red with the sunset's residue when Benjamin and I reached the park. I could feel my heart thumping in my chest, as we walked around. There was the fear of getting spotted by a neighbour and my parents would find out that instead of being in school, I was actually gallivanting with a boyfriend. There was also the excitement of being "the girl" of the best looking and smart guy in the school. And then of course the sudden realization that I was in love with Benjamin.

I talked to him everyday, didn't give any meaning to the way he smiled at me, or talked to me, or looked at me. He was my brother's friend, my friends' friend. And I didn't even know he was courting me for Danny. Was Danny crazy to have to ask Benjamin to act as his "bridge" without him thinking I might fall for this man instead?

"All the men are looking at us," he whispered. He placed his arm around my shoulders as he brought his face closer to my ear.

I looked around and I saw that all the women were staring at us.

"Why is that?" I asked him. I dared not turn my face to look at him. I knew a kiss would be inevitable if I did.

"You don't know why?" His breath was warm in my ear and it tickled. When I felt him straighten up, that was the only time I dared look at his face.

Only then I noticed that he was a lot taller than I thought he was, because despite the two-inch high heeled shoes I had on, I still had to stretch my neck to look up at him. Only then I noticed that the skin of his face was so smooth I wished mine was, too. Only then I noticed that his eyes sparkled even in the dark.

I felt the light touch of his right hand on my lower back. He was smiling at me, while the fingers of his left hand very carefully brushed my hair away from my face.

"Those men are envious, because I have a pretty girlfriend," he said, then pulled my face toward his chest. I felt him kiss the top of my head.

Oh, my God! My God, if he kisses me I will melt. Please don't let me melt! I seriously thought I would melt, and yet at the same time I fervently hoped he would kiss me.

No comments:

Post a Comment