Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Benjamin series: mid-term exams

Benjamin and I sat facing each other, studying for our mid-term exams due in an hour, his in Taxation, mine in Spanish. The way he shifted so often in his seat, I knew he could not concentrate on his studies. I couldn't, too, but I pretended otherwise. Sometimes, I'd glance at him and I'd catch him stealing a glance at me.

"That's enough bullshit," he said after a while.

"Huh?"

"We both know we can't concentrate. I just want to look at you. That's all I want to do." He laughed, his eyes glistened as he did. He winked at me and I giggled.

"Please," I said. "I need to perfect this exam. I had one mistake during the first term exams. I've got to perfect this test!" I distorted my face and regretted it immediately. How could I show an ugly face to my new boyfriend who thought I was the prettiest girl in the world?

"You're okay," Benjamin said. He stood up from his chair, slapped his study notes on one hand and stood beside me, stroking my long hair. "You'll ace the test."

I closed my eyes and recited in my mind the conjugation of the verb "tenir". I felt his warm breath in my ears as he whispered "I love you, Cyn."

There went "tenir" up in air.


At eight thirty, Benjamin found me sitting on a concrete bench in the volleyball court. I had finished my exams in less than thirty minutes, about an hour ago. I hung around waiting for him.

"Hey," he said even though he was about ten metres away from me. "I just saw Professor Garcia." Two male students passed by him and they exchanged pleasantries even as he walked towards me. "You did it!"

"I did what?" I asked.

"He saw me coming out of my Tax class and he said he'd checked your exam and you were perfecto!"

"I don't believe you," I said. "He couldn't have checked my paper right away."

"I saw you when you left your room. You were there for less than thirty minutes." He was saying this rather cooly. He sat beside me on the bench. "I think I might have failed my exam, because all I wanted was to finish it to catch up with you." He stroked my back. "I didn't want your admirers talking to you lest they steal you from me."

"Really, you didn't do well?" I said as I put on a dismayed look on my face.

Professor Garcia passed by and saw us.

"Did you tell her?" he motioned to Benjamin.

"Yes, and she wouldn't believe it!"

"Well," Professor Garcia said turning to me, "You aced your exam. Very well done." He tapped my shoulder, then let his hand linger.

"Sir! Sir," Benjamin said, playfully, "That's my girl's shoulder you're holding."

They both laughed. Professor Garcia said his goodbye after congratulating me one last time.

"Te amo," Benjamin whispered. I smiled and looked at him and he winked at me.

"Your Spanish isn't so bad either," I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment