Friday, March 5, 2010

PROMPT - quiet sounds

The elusive sleep finally comes at three in the morning. I have drank three cups of hot cocoa, spaced between eleven and one. I have changed the sheets, the whole set, including the mattress pad - thank God for those post Boxing Day sales. I would have changed the curtains but they match the newly changed sheets plus the step ladder is stored in the building's basement storage. I have read the weekend Globe and Mail including comics, have done the Sudoku and the New York Times crossword, even finished the ones from two days ago's edition. When I start to yawn five times I know I was on the verge of that elusive sleep.

And so I lay down on my bed and start to relax my body. I summon tranquil thoughts...I am on a hammock suspended between two coconut trees, overlooking the turqouise sea; I even see two sailboats beyond; the breeze gently nudge the leaves; and there I am by the beach with white beaches stretched on either sides.

Then I hear two small thuds, then a creaking sound, faint at first, then gradually becoming louder and faster. The bitch upstairs is fucking with one of her boyfriends.

I close my eyes again, recalling my tranquil thoughts. I pick up a large shell from the white sand and place it against my ear. But instead of the gentle humming of the ocean, I hear the loud cries of a woman: Aaaahhh! Haaaaah! Oh, yes! Yes! Give it all to me, baby. C'mon, harder. Yesssss! Aaaaahhhh!

I open my eyes and the first thing I see is the clock: 3:15. In the morning. The creaking, the loud banging, the even louder voice go on for almost like forever. I hear it intermittently: her description of his "lovely cock". Lovely cock?!; her adoration of his "super soft balls slapping" her skin; her earnest begging to make her come. Amusing for the first five minutes. But it went on and on and on and on. Whenever there is a lull and I have resigned myself that the "show" was "over", it starts all over again.

I get up and drag myself to the kitchen. I open the fridge intending to make more hot cocoa. Instead, my eyes catch the bottle of Barolo I had opened with company last weekend. Fine. I would drink myself to sleep, I would worry about the hangover when I get there. I have two sips when I turn around and stare at the sofa in the living room. There is my santuary.

I leave the bottle of Barolo on the counter. I do not want my sleepiness to leave with the mere act of putting back a bottle of wine in the fridge. I take a deep breath as I walked towards the sofa. I sit, I lay down, I close my eyes. And then there I am, walking on a field of yellow and white tulips, with a windmill in the distance, the breeze quietly blowing the leaves, the sun shining brightly, and the sky a pleasant hue of blue. I dream I am in Ghent, in Belgique, near the border of Pays-Bas. A place from so many years ago that I would love to visit again. Who was it then? Ihor. I wonder if he is thinking of me at the moment while I am dreaming of him. In Ghent, yellow and white tulips surrounding me.

Loud sounds of thunder startle me. Just when the image of Ihor appears in the distance. I turn around and see that the sky has turned gray, dark clouds form in the horizon, lightning slashing and the clouds slap and make deafening sounds. Above me, a steady sound of something heavy banging on the floor wakes me. The couple upstairs have moved to the room above my living room and there they continue their love making.

No comments:

Post a Comment