Monday, October 4, 2010

DWP - searching: prompt

I wrote poems when I started writing as a teenager. My high school English teacher taught me to understand and love Shakespeare's sonnets and poems of other authors like Ben Jonson, William Ernest Henley. Three of my poems got published, most notably a "sappy" birthday poem for a lost love. But as I grew older, I stayed away from writing poems and when I tried to go back to it by studying poems, I got discouraged because to my surprise, there were so many "kinds" of poems.

The blog Daily Writing Practice which I have been following for several months now have somehow stirred me back to liking and appreciating poems, in all of its forms. I can even write haiku's now. In any writing, be it an essay, a story or a poem, all it takes is imagination. Well, my imagination these days is quite on vacation but today I whipped up this little poem in about 3 minutes. It's a silly nonsense of a poem, but the time it took me to write it amazed me.


“Someday my prince will come”

At six little Daniel was my boy
He played with his booger for his toy
I truly thought then he was the one
Until one day he pooped in his pants.

At thirteen, there was Jimmy
Tall and dark and rather skinny
But he couldn’t do a little calculus
And I didn’t want an ignoramus.

At twenty-seven I dated Johnny
He, too, was tall but not skinny
But he wouldn’t divorce his wife
Even when I threatened him with a knife.

At thirty-five I lived in with Derrick
Handsome and rich and not a prick
But he wanted us to have ten children
Did he expect me to lay eggs like a hen?

So at forty-two, I gave up the search
No man it seems wants a first class bitch
Then I met Chuck, a sweet old Canuck
Who had nothing to offer yet with him I'm stuck!

1 comment:

  1. I liked him, thought it was funny. On the other hand, shows that often we find what we want where we least imagine. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete